As of January 1, 2017 the following vehicles will no longer be maintained due to being exempt from titling:


  • Trailers more than twenty (20) model years which would include all 1996 and prior year model trailers.

  • Motor vehicles more than thirty-five (35) model years old which would include all 1981 and prior year model vehicles

  • All low speed vehicles

  • Manufactured homes more than twenty (20) model years old which would include all 1996 and prior year manufactured homes.





—Once you pay off your vehicle you are more than welcome to come into the probate office with your title and lien release letter and get the lien holders name taken off of your title.  You are not required to do so as the sign off on the front of the title is sufficient enough if you are ever in a situation where you would like to sell the vehicle.





  1. Vehicle Power of Attorney Form: This form is used in the event the titling owner can not be here to title and register their vehicle.  The owner can give vehicle power of attorney to someone to come in place of them.  The owner will sign this form in front of a notary and have the individual bring it with them. 

  2. If the title is from out of state a VIN Inspection Form must be completed by the state officer and brought in with the Power of Attorney Form.  That form can be found by clicking here.




  • Title (If the vehicle is financed, please obtain a copy of the face of the title or electronic title from lienholder)

  • Alabama Insurance

  • Driver's License for each individual on the title

  • Vehicle to the courthouse for a VIN inspection or a VIN inspection form to be filled out by state officer (per Alabama law, anything coming from a different state must have a VIN inspection completed)



Absentee Application Ballot

Add some more info about this item...

Secretary of State John H. Merrill reminds Alabamians of the option to vote by absentee ballot. He states, "Amid corona-virus concerns, it is important to remember Alabamians who are concerned about contracting or spreading an illness have the opportunity to avoid the polls on Election Day by casting an absentee ballot."

For July 14th Primary Runoff Elections, the deadline to register to vote is Monday, June 29th, the deadline to submit and absentee ballot application is Thursday, July 9th, the deadline to return an absentee ballot to the Absentee Election Manager is the close of business Monday, July 13th, and the last day to postmark an absentee ballot is Monday, July 13th.

Click the link below for the Application for an absentee ballot.

Add some more info about this item...

2018 Primary Runoff Ballots

STAR ID (Click picture for more information)

Add some more info about this item...

As you know, Oct. 1, 2020, is the federal deadline for REAL ID-compliant identification to board commercial domestic flights and to enter certain federal facilities. We are working to ensure those who may need STAR IDs (our state’s version of REAL ID) have ample time to obtain one prior to October of next year.

Lori Jhons of Governor Kay Ivey’s staff shared a link to the Blount County Probate website featuring the Governor’s STAR ID message. (See below.)  In addition, we have attached the latest version of the STAR ID flier with details concerning first issuance. The Covington County Probate Office will still continue to offer drivers license renewals and duplicates. For the STAR ID, You must visit the driver's license examiners office located on the right outside of the Court house.


Here are those links:


Governor’s STAR ID message, featuring ALEA Secretary Hal Taylor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MCNbuiBMDQ


Blount County Probate’s page: http://www.blountcountyalprobate.com/Default.asp?ID=61&pg=Driver+License  

September Cancer Awareness Month (Click picture for more information)

Add some more info about this item...

If you have been in the Probate office recently, you may have noticed our tag display board has been changed. On display for this month, we have the Mike Slive Prostate Foundation tag, the Curing Childhood Cancer tag, and the Drive out Ovarian Cancer tag. Remember, these tags fall under the specialty tag rate. The first time a customer purchases these plates, they will be charged $55.00 extra, each year after this a customer will pay $50.00 extra. Many people are curious as to where this money goes when it is collected. The first year, $5.00 of the collected amount will go to the Alabama Department of Revenue. The rest of the collected amount goes to the Foundations that each tag sponsors:

Prostate Cancer tag funds cutting edge prostate cancer research in Alabama.

Curing Childhood Cancer tag are distributed to the UAB department of Pediatric/Children's Alabama to be used for medical research expenses.

Drive out Ovarian Cancer are distributed to the Norma Livingston Ovarian Cancer Foundation for research at UAB hospital

Alabama Wildlife Art Hard Licenses Now on Sale (Click picture for more information)

For years Alabama has been accustom to paper hunting and fishing license. The Department of Conservation and Natural resources would like to introduce to you the NEW Alabama Wildlife Art Hard Licenses...

For years Alabama has been accustom to paper hunting and fishing license. The Department of Conservation and Natural resources would like to introduce to you the NEW Alabama Wildlife Art Hard Licenses. For only 5 additional dollars, you may chose from eight different cards. These cards display a variety of outdoor scenes. The art scenes include, deer, turkey, freshwater fishing, wildlife heritage with an indigo bunting, sandhill crane and shooting sports. A deer and feral hog adorn the inaugural bait privilege license.

A total of 32 license privileges are eligible for purchase as a hard card, including annual hunting and fishing licenses for residents and non-residents, state duck stamp, Wildlife Heritage and bait privilege licenses. Trip licenses, lifetime licenses and no-cost privileges are not included in this feature.

Visit www.outdooralabama.com/license-information for more information on available licenses.

Personalized Tags (Click picture for more information)

Add some more info about this item...

There have been new plates that have come into production starting June 1st.  Take a look!  Visit the personalized tag website for a complete collection of tag availability!


2017 Handicap Self-Certify (Click picture for more information)

Add some more info about this item...


The five-year term for all handicap placards and plates ends in 2017. This means that this year you will have to re-certify in order to continue to be eligible for handicap placards or tags. The form issued by the Alabama Department of Revenue is attached in the following link, and must be completed by the applicant themsleves before or at time of renewal.

Register to Vote (Click picture for more information)

Add some more info about this item...

To Register to Vote, Check your polling place, obtain Sample Ballots and more information about voting please visit the following link!

Abandoned Vehicle Law Change (Click picture for more information)

Add some more info about this item...

Legislative Act 2015-470 amends the unclaimed/abandoned motor vehicle law. Effective July 1, 2016, a person or entity, including towing companies, in possession of an “unclaimed” or “abandoned” motor vehicle must report the following information to the Department of Revenue (DOR) before a motor vehicle can be sold as an “abandoned” motor vehicle. NOTE: ACT 2015-470 only applies to the sale of an abandoned vehicle for which notice is published on or after July 1, 2016. If the notice of the sale was posted prior to July 1, 2016, the vehicle may be sold under the current abandoned motor vehicle law.

NOW Offering Permanent Conservation ID # (Click picture for more information)

Add some more info about this item...

Beginning August 22, 2016, hunters and anglers will be able to obtain the New Conservation ID#.  This 6-digit permanent Conservation ID# can be used to report your deer or turkey harvest in the Game Check System. Future plans include license purchasing, accessing your deer and turkey harvest history, etc.

Stacy B Brooks Sworn-In Ceremony (Click picture for more information)

Add some info about this item

Stacy B Brooks is sworn in by Circuit Judge Benjamin M. Bowden

Marriage Certificates (Click picture for more information)

​Are you ready to get married? We now offer Marriage Certificates. According to Covington County Probate Judge Stacy Brooks..

Are you ready to get married? We now offer Marriage Certificates. 

Please follow the following steps to insure everything has been done correctly.

1. Fill out the Marriage certificate online. 

2. Make sure to have both spouses signatures notarized.

3. Bring the Certificate into the Probate Court to have it recorded.

4. The cost for two adults is $75.50. 

    The cost for minors is $78.50. (additional paperwork is required)

Marriage Certificates can be found at the following website:


Please reload

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon

1K N Court Square
Andalusia, AL 36420


Tag & Titles Questions: 334-428-2510

Recording Questions: 334-428-2518/2519

Probate Court Questions: 334-428-2512