COVINGTON COUNTY ALABAMA
ABOUT COVINGTON COUNTY
Covington County was created on December 17 in 1821. Its boundaries were rearranged in 1824, 1841 and 1868. It was named for Birgadier General Leonard Wailes Covington, a soldier in the War of 1812 (Maryland). In August of 1868, the name was changed to Jones County, though the original name was restored in October of 1868. The county is located in the south-central part of the Alabama, bordering Florida on the South. It presently comprises 1,038 square miles.The county seat was first established at Montezuma, later named Covington. The current county seat is at Andalusia. Other towns include Opp, Red Level, and Florala. The southwestern portion of the county contains the Conecuh National Forest.